Friday, May 20, 2011

Otherworldly Wilderness



You know when Matt told me that there was this amazing town in the Sloven mountains named Bled, I wasn't sure what to think. When I am traveling I try to stay away from places with names that seem to allude to gore or possible injury. Since I can be a bit of a klutz, I don't like to tempt fate too much especially when mountains are involved.

Nevertheless, Matt convinced me to make the trip out to see Bled. And I am glad he did.



Nestled in the Julian Alps, Bled is a tiny town surrounded by sweeping and romantic scenery. Forest covered mountains rise out of the mystical Lake Bled, whose waters are thought to contain healing powers. Within the lake is their is a small island which is the only natural island in Slovenia. Looking down upon this magnificent scene is the imposing Bled Castle.



Even with the snowy haze we encountered while there, you could not help but notice how unspoiled the place is. Even Tito, the leader of Yugoslav when it existed, loved it here so much that he had grand villa built on the waterfront for his own private use(gotta love those Commie leaders...they really believed in the workers plight eh?)



The best way I can describe bled is that it is truly an otherworldly wilderness. If you are ever in Slovenia or doing a grand tour of the former Yugoslavia, take some time out and come visit this mountain village.


Tanti Baci,
Lauren

PS: Remember, wear your hiking boots. Although my incredible knee high flat boots are great for almost all occasions, they do not mix with mountains and snow!

1 comment: